My Shingle

Next Time You Miss A Deadline, Why Not Change the Law?

by Carolyn Elefant on August 23, 2005 · 4 comments

in Ethics & Malpractice Issues

Print Friendly

Apparently, for well-connected law firms in Connecticut, there’s a far more potent tool than pedestrian legal malpractice insurance for addressing legal malpractice claims: personal legislation.  As this opinion piece describes, a Sylvia Kuehl retained a prominent Connecticut law firm to represent her interests in a wrongful death action after her husband was killed in a car accident.  The firm failed to advise Kuehl that she could file for workers compensation and by the time she realized it, the deadline for filing has passed.  So she retained another firm to sue the first one for legal malpractice.  But before the case could go to trial, the first firm enlisted the aid of political connections in the legislature who sponsored a bill extending the deadline for filing claims just for Kuehl and moots her suit against the firm. 

How’s that for justice?

  • Stephen

    Um, the wife got to claim unemployment. While it was an interesting resolution, the law firm did turn back time for its former client. Unfortunately, she spent money on the malpractice claim.

  • Stephen

    Um, the wife got to claim unemployment. While it was an interesting resolution, the law firm did turn back time for its former client. Unfortunately, she spent money on the malpractice claim.

  • THE KIRK LAW SCHOOL

    Well the funny things is thats what the U.S. is all about, why do we complain when only a fool represents him self in court. Ok here is the deal, i have been teaching law for about 4 years now. Im never been to law school. See for about 10 or more years i worked as auto tech. Being an auto tech is twice as hard than practicing law. I dare any Attorn-ney to try to repair a 1993 cadilac that just came in to the shop with a wiring problim that some-times fires one of 2 or 3 ECM/BLM. Won time an bar junkered said your a fool who trys his own case. I said well i asked if you were a auto tech and the only thing your trained in was ABS/RWALL brakes systems, and your car,truck or van 1990s GM just turn on the ABS/RWALL light, would you conclude that I’m a fool because only a fool works on his own car,truck or van. See the real point here is for the most part ABOUT 90 of officer workers dont realy produce nothing. They just consume, us/me 10 percent has to repair the other 90% junk. So the next time some one complains about one of us/you. Tell them this, i made you think you need us. Which is probably true. You are a cause of you demise as a matter of law. Craig M. Kirk

  • THE KIRK LAW SCHOOL

    Well the funny things is thats what the U.S. is all about, why do we complain when only a fool represents him self in court. Ok here is the deal, i have been teaching law for about 4 years now. Im never been to law school. See for about 10 or more years i worked as auto tech. Being an auto tech is twice as hard than practicing law. I dare any Attorn-ney to try to repair a 1993 cadilac that just came in to the shop with a wiring problim that some-times fires one of 2 or 3 ECM/BLM. Won time an bar junkered said your a fool who trys his own case. I said well i asked if you were a auto tech and the only thing your trained in was ABS/RWALL brakes systems, and your car,truck or van 1990s GM just turn on the ABS/RWALL light, would you conclude that I’m a fool because only a fool works on his own car,truck or van. See the real point here is for the most part ABOUT 90 of officer workers dont realy produce nothing. They just consume, us/me 10 percent has to repair the other 90% junk. So the next time some one complains about one of us/you. Tell them this, i made you think you need us. Which is probably true. You are a cause of you demise as a matter of law. Craig M. Kirk

Previous post:

Next post: